Anti-Harassment/Bullying Investigation Procedures
Individuals who feel that they have been harassed should:
- Communicate to the harasser that the individual expects the behavior to stop, if the individual is comfortable doing so. If the individual wants assistance communicating with the harasser, the individual should ask a teacher, counselor or principal to help.
- If the harassment does not stop, or the individual does not feel comfortable confronting the harasser, the individual should:
- Tell a teacher, counselor or principal; and
- Write down exactly what happened, keep a copy and give another copy to the teacher, counselor or principal including:
- What, when and where it happened;
- Who was involved;
- Exactly what was said or what the harasser did;
- Witnesses to the harassment;
- What the student said or did, either at the time or later;
- How the student felt; and
- How the harasser responded.
An individual who believes that they have been harassed or bullied will notify any school staff member. The school staff member will provide immediate assistance if necessary and will notify any Guidance Counselor or Administrator, the designated investigator. The alternate investigator is a Guidance Counselor or Administrator from another building. The investigator may request that the individual provide additional information included in the Harassment/Bullying/Hazing Complaint form or other district developed documentation may be used in lieu of this form so long as all pertinent information is included. The investigator may request the individual turn over evidence of the harassment, including, but not limited to, letters, tapes, or pictures. The complainant’s parent/guardian shall be given a written or verbal notice of complaint. Information received during the investigation is kept confidential to the extent possible.
The investigator, with the approval of the principal, or the principal, has the authority to initiate an investigation in the absence of a written complaint.
The investigator will reasonably and promptly investigate upon receipt of the complaint. The investigator will interview the complainant and the alleged harasser. The alleged harasser may file a written statement in response to the complaint. The investigator may also interview witnesses as deemed appropriate. Sample documentation forms are included in this policy, but other district developed documentation may be used in lieu of this form so long as all pertinent information is included.
Upon completion of the investigation, the investigator will make written findings and conclusions as to each allegation of harassment and report the findings and conclusions to the principal. The investigator will provide a copy of the findings of the investigation to the principal.
Resolution of the Complaint
Following receipt of the investigator’s report, another principal may investigate further, if deemed necessary, and make a determination of any appropriate additional steps which may include discipline.
Prior to the determination of the appropriate remedial action, another principal may, at the principal’s discretion, interview the complainant and the alleged harasser. The principal will file a written report closing the case and documenting any disciplinary action taken or any other action taken in response to the complaint. The complainant, the alleged harasser and the investigator will receive notice as to the conclusion of the investigation. The principal will maintain a log of information necessary to comply with Iowa Department of Education reporting procedures and will ensure that state reporting requirements are fulfilled.
Points to Remember in the Investigation
- Complaints must be taken seriously and investigated.
- Evidence uncovered in the investigation is confidential.
- No retaliation will be taken against individuals involved in the investigation process.
- Retaliators will be disciplined up to and including suspension and expulsion.
If the investigator is a witness to the incident, the alternate investigator may investigate.Anti-Bullying/Harassment Complaint Form (PDF)
- Policy 107.R1
- Date adopted: October 9, 1995
- Date reviewed: November 17, 1997; December 13, 2010; January 14, 2013
- Date revised: May 8, 2006; May 14, 2007; August 13, 2007; November 16, 2010; December 10, 2012